Our Intent for Reading at KEPS
Our curriculum approach to Reading reflects our vision and values - to offer an engaging and inclusive curriculum, which builds on the skills, knowledge and understanding of all children as well as developing confident, inquisitive and independent learners. We are keen for all pupils to discover their own passion for reading, as well as gaining their own ability to discover new learning in all areas of the curriculum for themselves.
Our Implementation for Reading at KEPS
* Kingsbury Episcopi Primary School is determined that every pupil will learn to read, regardless of their background, needs or abilities. All pupils, including the weakest readers, make sufficient progress to meet or exceed age-related expectations. All pupils are encouraged to discover their own passion for reading in order to discover new learning in all areas of the curriculum for themselves.
* Children are able to develop vocabulary, language comprehension, and love of reading through stories, poems, rhymes and non-fiction.
* Children are familiar with, and enjoy listening to a wide range of stories, poems, rhymes and non-fiction.
* Our phonics programme matches or exceeds the expectations of the national curriculum and the early learning goals.
* There are clear expectations of pupils’ phonics progress term by term, from Reception to Year 2.
* The sequence of reading scheme books shows cumulative progression in phonics knowledge that is matched closely to the school’s phonics programme.
* Teachers will give pupils sufficient practice in reading and re-reading books that match the grapheme-phoneme correspondences they know, in order to develop fluency and atomicity, both in school and at home.
* Reading, including the teaching of systematic, synthetic phonics, is taught from the beginning of Reception using a DfE validated scheme (we use Twinkl Phonics).
* Ongoing assessment of pupils’ phonics progress is sufficiently frequent and detailed to identify any pupil who is falling behind the programme’s pace. If they do fall behind, targeted support is given immediately with same day interventions.
* The English and Phonics Leads regularly monitor the teaching of phonics to ensure sufficient expertise in the teaching of phonics and reading.
Our Curriculum Plan can be found here: